Welcome to 'Vellore' - City of Innovation.    |    If you like this site, feel free to give a link and visit again. 

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vellore Airport

I always believed that locating an airport in any community has a domino effect to affect its economy positively. Airport being on the top of the pyramid, there could be industries such as taxis, hotels, restaurants, roads, and landscaping etc could impact the local community significantly by providing employment and using local resources.

In 2006, I had learnt that there’s an airstrip in Vellore (Adbullahpuram to be exact) owned by the ‘Airports Authority of India’ (AAI) so I wrote an article in the Hindu district plus arguing the need for operationalizing the airport. Then I said that there are places like CMC and VIT to use the airport. Since then, a new attraction has come up in Vellore called “Golden Temple” bringing enormous number of tourists to Vellore.

With the political dimensions of India are completely (I mean 100%) in favor of Tamilnadu and Vellore, I personally feel that it is the time that Vellore citizens demand for an airport. There’s enough market in Vellore to use the airport.

Click on "Vellore Airport map" to open the link to see the location of Vellore Airport.  Use the zooming tools on the top left corner to see the details of the airport and the sorrounding roads.  

I took the image below of an aircraft hovering over Vellore. I read that Madras Flying Club currently uses the Vellore airport and I am presuming that this aircraft belongs to them.


No comments: